Special Educational Needs
Special Educational Needs (SEN)
Watkins Solicitors have many years of experience advising and representing parents of children with special educational needs and/or disabilities who are in dispute with their schools or Local Authorities. We specialise in the more complex and complicated cases, where again we have significant experience and excellent success rates.
We are instructed on the following types of cases:
- Where Children and Young People are without an EHC plan
- Obtaining an EHC needs assessment
- Appealing a refusal to carry out an EHC needs assessment
- Advising on the EHC needs assessment, in particular, obtaining advice from specific professionals
- Appealing a decision to refuse to issue an EHC plan
- Reviewing a Draft, Education Health and Care Plan
- Appealing the contents of an EHC plan
- Appealing for a particular placement including both Post-16 and Post-19 placements
- Appealing for a residential placement (Waking day curriculum)
- Advising on complex matters involving adoption breakdown and placement decisions, including social care and education budgets
- Advising on Health and Social Care recommendations and obtaining personal budgets in regard to Social Care
- Advising in regard to the Annual Review Process
- Reviewing proposed amended EHCP following the annual review process
- Advising and obtaining re-assessments in regard to out-of-date EHCPs
We advise and represent in cases involving a range of special educational needs, and our education team have experience of working with complex neurodevelopmental profiles including Autism, ADD, ADHD, Dyslexia, Dyspraxia (Developmental Coordination Disorder), Sensory Processing Disorder, Associated Social, Emotional and Mental Health Needs including Anxiety and OCD. We support children and young people with cerebral visual impairment, Cerebral Palsy, Down’s Syndrome and Epilepsy. We also specialise in cases involved Foetal Alcohol Syndrome (FASD) and Pathological Demand Avoidance. These are just a few areas; there are many more we can list.
We also have extensive experience:
- Securing home-based programmes including Education Other than at school packages (such as ABA programmes) for Children with SEN
- Securing significant social care/education budgets for cases whereby there has already been, or there is a risk of adoption breakdown
- Residential placements for those who have difficulties with vision and may need a specialist residential placement later on in life, i.e. post 16/19
We work extensively with our clients to collaboratively devise letters and correspondence to Local Authorities, Schools and experts. We work to get to the route issues swiftly and aim to resolve matters within a week, if not sooner, if there is an urgent deadline. We often begin with an informal chat, whereby you can discuss your situation with one of the team; we will then liaise with you providing advice and cost estimates for the work that needs to be undertaken.