Watkins Solicitors are delighted to announce the opening of our new office in Bath.
The firm has a contract to carry out Legal Aid work from this office, which is situated in the centre of Bath...
Careers with Us
Any current vacancies are set out below together with details of our work experience programmes. However, we are an ambitious and dynamic practice and always on the look out to meet and speak with the best and the brightest lawyers. We believe that Watkins Solicitors is a great place to work so if you would like to have an informal chat with us, in complete confidence, then please contact our Practice Manager Gina Grohmann. This firm welcomes applications from all sections of the community irrespective of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex and sexual orientation.
Watkins Solicitors are currently looking for a Full/Part time newly qualified Family Lawyer.
The main job purpose will be:
- To undertake fee earning work for private clients of the practice
- To act as the supervisor for paralegals/support staff
Main duties and responsibilities to include but not limited to:
- Manage all client work allocated by the partners in accordance with detailed procedures
- At all times to exercise high standards of client care in a professional and pleasant manner
- To ensure the confidentiality and security of all documentation and information of the practice and clients
- To achieve agreed levels of billing and time recording
- To ensure good working relationships with external institutions and organisations
- To supervise, support and develop immediate support staff and fee earning staff as agreed with the partners
- To carry out any other duties and responsibilities that may be required by the partners
The successful candidate should have:
- Excellent client care skills
- Ability to successfully market the firm and generate new business
- Experience or newly qualified
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Child Care Scheme
- Bike2work Scheme
Initially based at our North Street branch, but may be required to attend other branches in Bristol on occasion. Candidates must have a valid Practising Certificate. Immediate start, Salary bands between £24,000 - £27,000 PA dependent upon experience. Please send CV and covering letter to Jennene Warmington email@example.com.
Watkins Solicitors are looking for a Full-time Conveyancing Paralegal to join one of the regions foremost specialist law firms.
The main responsibilities to include but not limited to:
- Assisting in the conveyancing department, preparing correspondence, documents, filing and other administrative tasks as may be required
- To assist fee earners in dealing with their cases, to include documentation preparation, completion of forms, liaising with clients, drafting bills and completion statements
- To assist fee earners on post completion work, liaising with all parties in the conveyancing process (including estate agents and solicitors)
- To maintain professional standards
- To maintain an appropriate client and telephone manner, suitable for a busy professional practice
- To demonstrate and maintain a comprehensive ability in written English, with an emphasis on spelling, presentation and use of punctuation
- Must have a degree and preferably some office experience. Preference will be given to candidates who have passed the LPC. Knowledge of Microsoft Office and basic IT skills required. Previous conveyancing experience an advantage
Previous conveyancing experience an advantage and candidates who have passed the LPC.
- Child Care Scheme
- Bike2work Scheme
Primarily based at our Fishponds branch, but attendance at other branches will be required from time to time. Please request an application form from Jennene Warmington by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Immediate start. Salary from £16,300 to £17,500 negotiable. Closing date 9th October 2017.
Watkins Solicitors are currently looking for a cleaner for our Fishponds branch. This is a permanent role 2 hours per evening 5 days a week at £7.50 per hour.
The role will include:
- Polishing and hoovering all offices throughout
- Polishing visible desk surfaces
- Cleaning kitchen area, including cleaning microwave and fridge when required
- Cleaning bathroom/toilets
Must be reliable & trustworthy and be able to clean to a consistently high standard. References on request. Please contact Jennene Warmington by email to email@example.com or telephone: 0117 939 0350.
Watkins Solicitors offer work experience placements to students. Work experience students will be expected to work and will not merely “shadow” members of staff. We only undertake family and education work. If you are not interested in theses areas of law, please do not apply for a work experience placement at this firm. Work experience placements are only offered to those who are over 18 years of age and preference is given to those seeking a minimum of a two week placement. Placements of less than one week are not offered. If you are interested in a work experience placement, please contact Mehrannisa Sadiq firstname.lastname@example.org our Work Experience Coordinator. Please note that places are often booked well in advance.
*** We are now FULLY BOOKED for the year of 2016 and summer of 2017. Therefore, we are only considering applications for February- May 2017 and October – December 2017 at this time. We will be considering application for summer 2018 placements from 1st November 2017.***
FROM PREVIOUS WORK PLACEMENT STUDENTS
"Dear Beverley and everyone at Watkins Solicitors, thank you so much for making the last two weeks so interesting and enjoyable. You’ve all made me feel so welcome and kept me busy, which I really appreciate! My time here has definitely sparked an interest in pursuing family law, and I’ve learnt a lot from watching everyone and getting involved. Thanks again and best wishes" Emily
"To Beverley and everyone at Watkins Solicitors The two weeks I spent at Watkins were invaluable. Whilst in the office I completed tasks on real cases, including preparing court bundles, drafting correspondence, making telephone calls and legal research. I was taught how to do time-recording, a skill which is absolutely necessary in a solicitor’s office, and attended court nearly every day to witness hearings and discussions. I felt privileged to be allowed to be a part of the everyday workings of the firm, and was always made to feel useful! I believe that the experience has given me a real insight into Family and Education law in particular, and I feel encouraged to pursue my goal of becoming a solicitor." RP
"I wanted to say a big thank you for having me these past two weeks – it has been absolutely brilliant and valuable experience. I really believe in your areas of law, and look forward to using my experiences gained in the future. With very best wishes" Rosie
"I just wanted to contact you to say thank you very much for offering work experience opportunities. Work experience in general is obviously extremely important but at Watkins I was able to have a very practical experience and not simply work shadow. It has been an invaluable experience and I have learnt a lot. Thanks again, and I will be sure to keep in touch. Kind regards" EG
"Dear Lisa, Beverly and everyone at Watkins, thank you for offering me work experience in August 2015. I really appreciated being able to carry out a range of tasks and attend the family drop-ins and court. I was able to improve on skills which will be invaluable to me in the future and learnt a lot more about family law. I really enjoyed working with everyone in the office, and hope to keep in touch." Best wishes HF
Natalie De-Merist and ‘Law in Action’
Natalie joined Watkins Solicitors in September 2014 whilst she was completing her final year of a law degree at UWE. She is the third student to undertake a work placement with the ‘Law in Action’ module. Here is what she had to say about her time at Watkins Solicitors.
“In September 2014 I undertook a work placement at Watkins Solicitors for a ‘Law in Action’ module at university. This was once a week for a total of 25 days. During this time I was expected to work rather than shadow, and completed tasks such as time recording, filing, creating court bundles, communicating with clients and corresponding with the Court. I also had the opportunity to go to court and shadow the solicitor in the advocates meeting and in the hearing. These experiences have certainly helped develop skills that I will use in my career, and in particular my confidence and letter drafting skills have increased a great deal.
“This opportunity provided a great insight into what a career as a solicitor would entail. I am particularly grateful for this as at the time I was uncertain whether this was the correct career path for me, and whether I should go on to study the LPC. However, having undertaken my placement I felt both reassured about my career choice as well as encouraged to achieve. The ‘hands on’ approach at Watkins meant that I got a great deal out of my placement, and much more so than if I were just required to shadow. I thoroughly enjoyed working at the firm and seeing the law being applied in action.”