Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards come into effect from 1 April 2018 - Landlords take note!
From 1 April 2018, Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards (MEES) will come into effect which means that Landlords will not be able to renew or begin any lease/tenancy for any residential or commercial property which has an EPC Rating below E.
Landlords will be able to let out F and G-rated properties beyond 1 April 2018 for the remainder of existing rental contracts but will not be able to renew a contract or let the property to someone else until it is brought up to an E rating.
Here are five tips to help achieve an E energy rating:
- Insulate - ensure you have insulation in the roof
- Smart Storage Heaters - cheaper to run than an electric convector heater
- LED bulbs - use less energy than regular light bulbs
- Add a jacket to your hot water cylinder - especially if it is a sizeable cylinder
- Add a programmer or room thermostat