Help with Family Mediation
Many people are unaware that legal aid is still available for advice from a solicitor if they are participating in mediation, under a little-known funding scheme called Help with Family Mediation.
- This assistance is available if you are financially eligible (with a disposable income of less than £733 per month) regardless of whether or not you have been a victim of domestic abuse.
- Help with Mediation can only be accessed if you have participated in at least one joint session of mediation within the 3 months preceding your appointment with a solicitor.
- The Help with Mediation form (CW5) must be signed by mediator prior to your solicitor carrying out any work so you must bring this signed form to your initial appointment.
- This funding is available for advice regarding children or financial issues following your separation from a partner.
- If the case involves financial matters related to divorce proceedings and you settle your case during mediation, we can draw up a legally binding document called a Consent Order, and the cost of doing so will be met by the Help with Mediation scheme.
- Help with Mediation may not be used where we have acted for you within the last 6 months and have used an alternative method of public funding.
At Watkins Solicitors, we are committed to continuing to provide publicly funded legal advice where possible and would be happy to see you to provide Help with Mediation. Contact us on 0117 939 0350 if you would like more information about this or any other of our services.
For more information see paragraphs 7.69 onwards of the attached: