Resealing a foreign Grant of Probate

News and Events

Resealing a foreign Grant of Probate

What to do if the deceased resided overseas and had assets in the UK?

If the person who had died was resident in a former commonwealth country, recognised by the UK's Colonial Probates Act, then an application can be made to "reseal" the grant of representation obtained in that country. This involves making an application to the UK court to reseal the overseas grant of representation and the will.

Which countries are recognised by the Colonial Probates Act?

Countries recognised by the Colonial Probates Act include:

  • New Zealand
  • Canada
  • Australia
  • Hong Kong
  • Singapore
  • South Africa
  • St. Lucia
  • Jamaica
  • The Bahamas

Why not just make a new application for a grant of representation in the UK?

The resealing process is significantly quicker and more efficient than making a new application for a UK grant of representation to deal with the UK assets. 

Our specialists can advise you on whether a grant of representation can be re-sealed and assist you through the process. 

Contact our experts for further advice